Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Thing #13 Tagging, Del.icio.us, and Social Bookmarking

In this activity, I explored several social bookmarking sites, including del.icio.us, ma.gnolia and Furl. Although del.icio.us is probably the most widely used, the other two have nice features. I especially like the graphical layout on ma.gnolia's site. I've also gained a whole new appreciation for tags and I've discovered many neat resources that I probably would not otherwise have found because of getting "lost" in a tag cloud.

I can see several useful applications for social bookmarking in the classroom. In its most simple form, a social bookmarking system could be used for teachers of a specific discipline or course to collect useful links and share them with one another. For student applications, the students could each contribute links for different topics to collaborate to create a student-reviewed reading and/or reference list.

As a result of my learning from this activity, I'd also like to explore the social bookmarking module for Moodle. If you are already using Moodle for your course management system, it may be easier to use this than to have your students use yet another service with another separate login.

No comments: