Friday, July 25, 2008

Thing #6 Mashups and 3rd Party Sites


This activity was completely new for me. I had always thought of a mashup as a collection of video clips from several different sources edited to run as one piece. This activity showed how several websites and services can be integrated to provide a completely new service.

I especially liked some of the Flickr Toys from Big Huge Labs. Mosaic Maker and Palette Generator could be very helpful for students who have to design multimedia products, especially if the students are already using Flickr to store their photos.

For example, a student who is trying to design a color scheme for a project may upload a photo into Palette Generator and it will produce a color palette that looks great with the photo. I uploaded this photo that I took with a digital camera, and two of the colors Palette Generator suggested were blossom and chinook. I hope you enjoy playing with Flickr Toys, too!

No comments: