Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Thing # 15 Web 2.0, Library 2.0 and the Future of Libraries

I have always seen the library as a comfortable place to go to be literally surrounded by knowledge as I stand among the stacks of books. I also liked that you could stand in the same section (or on the same floor) and run into people with the same interests. With all of the technological changes, we do expect information to arrive instantaneously to our computer screens at the click of a button. I so appreciate that future-thinking librarians in the Library 2.0 movement are spending time thinking about the best ways to have the traditional library meet our ever-changing needs. I was amazed at the effort on the WebTools4u2use wiki to pull together such a great collection of Web 2.0 resources. I will definitely keep that site handy.

Since I am not a librarian, I let my mind wander a bit as I was reading all the perspectives on Library 2.0 to "Classroom 2.0" I like the idea of having flexible classrooms to allow for more field trips and more time for hands-on projects. Technologies and libraries in this 2.0 environment would need to facilitate a variety of research and communications needs, with learner safety and high-quality information as top priorities. Classroom 2.0 should definitely be integrated with Library 2.0 so that we all help one another as lifelong learners.

No comments: