Monday, July 28, 2008

Thing #9 Useful Library-Related Blogs and News Feeds

One of the best methods of finding RSS feeds that are appropriate for your interests is to go to a blog that you enjoy and follow the links on their blogroll. It's also fun to go to a list, like the Edubloggers Awards, to find blogs that others have found valuable in your field.

It is so easy to search for RSS feeds. Technorati, Bloglines Search and Google Blog Search allow you to do keyword searches, and then they display relevant blog postings. Click the link to go to the site, and if you like it, in a couple of clicks you may add it to your RSS aggregator.

Topix.net and Syndic8 were a little more difficult for me to navigate than the other search tools I explored, but that is probably because I had never used them before. I can see the value of using Topix.net when having older grade students search for current events. I would not use these tools with younger students because there are so many news stories that are not appropriate for young children.

I found several useful feeds in my travels. Since I was unable to attend NECC this year, I searched for blog posts with the tag NECC08 to read notes from those who attended. Based on their posts about NECC, I added a few new feeds to my aggregator to see what these bloggers have to say on other issues in educational technology.

Another way I locate RSS feeds to follow is to search for blogs by my favorite authors, or search for blogs by authors who I am considering reading. If I haven't already read an author's work, going to his blog may either convince me to read his work sooner, or it might make me realize that his book might not totally appeal to my interests.

Happy searching!

No comments: