Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thing#16 Wikis

I had some experience using wikis before completing the tasks in this activity. So, I went into the task mostly looking for great curriculum applications and perhaps finding the "best" wiki interface. Each wiki software has a slightly different layout, so I don't think there is one "best" wiki interface. It's probably best to just pick one and go with it. My school chose to use the open source code that Wikipedia uses since the students are probably already familiar with that format.

As far as curriculum ideas...Well, there are too many to count. I was very impressed with Mr. Miller's English 10 Wiki sample. I liked it because the guidelines were very clear for the students. I also liked the idea of using wikis for professional development collections of resources, like Library Success and the AASL 2007 presentation by Loertscher. So often, we have great ideas in face-to-face meetings that never go beyond our own, personal dog-eared notebooks. Collecting these ideas in a wiki would serve not only as an archive, but it would also allow those who were unable to attend the face-to-face meeting to still contribute.

No comments: